Robin W. Dunn LPC
Robin earned his B.S. degree in Psychology from Florida State University in 1984, followed by a Master of Science Degree in Counseling from Georgia State University in 1988. He is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Georgia, and has been in practice providing outpatient psychotherapy since 1988. He works with adults, teens and children in individual, couples, and family therapy.
Robin has experience in working with a multitude of issues including but not limited to anxiety, panic attacks, depression, self esteem, parent – child issues, stress management, couples issues, dependency, divorce support, abuse survivor issues, grief, assertiveness, motivation, impulsivity, anger management, personality issues, communication difficulties, and parenting skills.
He is a clinical member of the American Counseling Association, the Licensed Professional Counselors Association of Georgia, and the International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors. Robin now has 25+ years of experience in private practice that began in 1993 after having worked 5 years with Northside Mental Health in Alpharetta, GA.
Robin likes to stay busy while away from work supporting the activities and interests of his 2 grown children along with his own interests in photography, cooking, finding good “hole in the wall" restaurants, watching sports and just about anything outdoors - running, hiking, tennis, and gardening. He also enjoys spending time as a volunteer distance running coach with the Pickens High School Track & Field and Cross Country Teams, and has been involved with C.A.R.E.S. (the local food pantry).
What you can expect if you see Robin for counseling:
- A non-judgmental ear and voice in helping you resolve your concerns.
- A safe and comfortable place to talk about any and all problems that may be of concern.
- Assistance in clarifying your issues or concerns.
- Assistance in developing a plan of action to address your concerns.
- Most often I schedule one or sometimes two weekly 50 minute session with clients at the beginning of treatment. Frequency of sessions is gradually reduced as the issues resolve.
- I can provide both short term and longer term psychotherapy, but most of my clients complete treatment in between 10 and 20 sessions.
- One of the goals is to work towards helping each client work their way out of needing assistance.
- I understand that your time is also valuable, so you can expect me to be on-time or very close to it for your appointment (except in the case of occasional emergencies).
- Although I do not minimize the help that medication can provide, I do believe that it is possible to make significant progress without immediately referring for medication or without solely relying on medication.
- Though I believe in my abilities, training, and experience, I also understand that I may not be the therapist for everyone in every situation. I will be glad to help you find the right place to do the work you need to do whether it is with me, or another professional.
Robin has training and experience to help people with many issues including:
- Abuse Survivor Issues
- Academic Underachievement
- Adolescent issues
- Anger Management
- Anxiety / Panic Attacks
- Behavior at Home or School
- Blended Family
- Career Changes
- Chronic Illness or Disability
- Communication Skills
- Couples / Marriage Counseling
- Divorce Support
- Domestic Violence
- Eating Disorders
- Grief and loss
- Life Transitions
- Parent – Child Problems
- Parenting Skills
- Sexual Problems
- Stress Management
- Substance Abuse